There are plenty of situations where you want to connect multiple devices to a single HDMI port. Maybe you want to switch between different HDMI devices without swapping cables, you want to improve your home theater or gaming experience or you just want to have fewer HDMI cables in sight. Whatever your reason, connecting multiple devices to one HDMI port is easy to achieve with an HDMI switch. In this article we explain in a few steps how to connect multiple devices to a single HDMI port using an HDMI switch.
Step 1: Check the connections on your screen
Before you start connecting multiple devices to your display's HDMI port, check how many HDMI inputs your display has. Most modern displays, such as TVs and monitors, have multiple HDMI inputs, but the number varies. If you only have 1 or 2 HDMI inputs on your screen, an HDMI switch is useful for connecting multiple HDMI devices to that one port.
Step 2: Buy an HDMI switch
So if your screen doesn't have enough HDMI inputs to house all your devices, you'll need an HDMI switch. With this device you can connect up to 4 HDMI devices to a single HDMI input on your screen and easily switch between these HDMI devices.
Step 3: Connect your devices to the HDMI switch
Once you have purchased the right HDMI switch, connect it to the desired HDMI devices
- Connect the HDMI cables to the outputs of your HDM devices (e.g. a game console, Blu-ray player or laptop).
- Connect the other ends of the cables to the inputs on the HDMI switch.
- Plug the HDMI switch's power cable into a power outlet. (some HDMI switches have a built-in power supply and it does not need to be connected to a power outlet).
Step 4: Connect the HDMI switch to a display
Now that your devices are connected to the HDMI switch, connect the HDMI switch to your display. Follow these steps:
- Connect the HDMI cable to the output of the HDMI switch.
- Connect the other end of the cable to the HDMI input on your display.
- Turn on the HDMI switch, your HDMI sources and your display.
Advantages of connecting multiple devices to one HDMI port using a Marmitek HDMI switch
- Convenience: With an HDMI switch you can easily switch between different devices without having to swap cables. This allows you to enjoy your favorite games, movies and TV shows without any hassle.
- Aesthetic: By connecting multiple HDMI devices to one screen with one cable, you have fewer loose cables running to the screen. That looks much nicer.
- Cost effective: Instead of purchasing multiple monitors for each device, connect multiple devices to one monitor. That makes a difference!
Connect multiple displays to 1 HDMI device
We also have an extensive range of HDMI splitters and HDMI adapters. With an HDMI splitter, for example, you can connect your Playstation to multiple screens with 1 cable.
Ready for the future
With Marmitek UHD 2.0 switches you prevent connection problems and get the best out of your (existing) equipment. This range is HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 compliant and therefore the best solution for connecting your HDMI devices and TVs. Our latest HDMI switches (700 series) even support HDMI 2.1 and 8K.
Connect 720 - HDMI switch 8K 60Hz - 4K 120Hz - HDMI 2.1 - 2 in / 1 out
Connect 350 UHD 2.0 - HDMI switch 4K 60Hz - 5 in / 1 out
Connect 620 UHD 2.0 - HDMI switch 4K 60Hz - 4 in / 1 out
Connect 621 UHD 2.0 - HDMI switch 4K 60Hz - 4 in / 1 out
Connecting multiple devices to a single HDMI port is a practical and cost-effective solution for getting the most out of your entertainment space. With the right HDMI switch, you can easily connect multiple devices and enjoy a seamless viewing experience. Whether you want to improve your home theater or expand your gaming setup, an HDMI switch offers the solution.